Craft That Party: 10 Simple Ways to Increase Your Pinterest Followers

Monday, March 4, 2013

10 Simple Ways to Increase Your Pinterest Followers


Why is Pinterest so important to integrate into your social media right now?  You can answer this by looking at your website's stats page.  The picture below is an example of my old site's stats page. Pinterest is consistently the top traffic source driving people to find and view my posts.


So we know Pinterest is a great social media tool. How do we increase our followers and utilize Pinterest to our best abilities? My Pinterest account is nearing 40,000 followers! Many people have asked how I have quickly gained so many followers. When I sat down and thought about it, I realized I do have some tips to share:


TIP #1: PIN DAILY. Don't over pin and flood the boards with one specific theme. Rather, pin a few quality images each day. I try to spend 5-10 minutes on Pinterest around 9am, noon, and 9pm- these seem to be high traffic times when people are pinning and more likely to see my pins.

TIP #2: CHANGE THE COMMENTS. When you re-pin, change the comment to fit your board. Often people re-pin and leave the original comment. Add something to it, such as how you would use this idea or why you like it. Adding a better description of the pin will help people searching Pinterest.

For example, if you like this hair style, change the comment to something more descriptive than "hair". Change it to, "Messy bun for girls night out".

TIP #3: FIND FRESH CONTENT! People want to follow others that aren't just pinning the same ideas as everyone else. Look for new pins on the everything page or popular page. My secret is that when I see an idea on FB or a blog that I love, I immediately pin to Pinterest as quickly as possible. Be the FIRST to share that idea!

TIP #4: CHECK THE LINK BEFORE PINNING. I always try to check the link before I re-pin. If the pin does not lead you to a valid website, do not pin it. People WANT to be able to follow your pin to valid source where they can find out more about the pin.

TIP #5: FOLLOW GOOD PEOPLE. Your Pinterest feed will only be as good as the people you are following. Make sure you are following all your favorite websites, stores, and celebrities. Chances are they ALL have Pinterest accounts and may even follow you back!

TIP #6: GIVE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE. We all know Pinterest is not personally responsible for that idea you found and tried. Pinterest is the vehicle that allows our ideas to reach a larger audience. Some creative person took the time to think up the idea, craft it, photograph it, write about it, and share it. Please give credit where credit is due. Type @ and the name of the person whenever possible. This will highlight the person in a bold font and people can click on it to find that person's boards and information.

TIP #7: CATEGORIZE YOUR BOARDS. Organize your boards into easy to follow categories. My largest board following is my Food Board. So simple it hurts, but people love that darn board.

TIP #8: SELF-PROMOTE: I know there is debate out there as to the etiquette of pinning your own images, but why wouldn't you?!! Do you hesitate to share your images on Facebook, Google + and Twitter?


TIP #9: ACTIVITY. On your main board page, where you see the number of boards, pins, and likes next to that it says activity. I like to visit that page and see how many people have re-pinned my images. I look for patterns to see what is getting re-pinned the most and what is not getting re-pinned at all. Use this to help guide to see what your Pinterest followers like to see.

TIP #10: JOIN PINNING PARTIES! Sites are now starting to host Pinterest Parties where they will pick a date, time, and specific theme to pin about. Often there are prizes given as well. This is great exposure for you as a "Pinner" and also a great way to find new people to follow.

For example, Chickabug just posted about this Pinterest Party coming up on March 5th.


Hope these tips help! These are all things that work for me but may not work for everyone, so please leave a comment below if you have found something that works for you. I would love to share your ideas and suggestions in more posts on this topic!

16 comments:

  1. I wanna be you when I grow up. Thanks for sharin' your tips in detail, JPeg! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your secrets, Jenny! I Pinned your post, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tips, Jenny! I hadn't noticed the Activity button before, so I'll have to check that out.

    I had to giggle when I saw my face at the top of your screen shot in this post! My 3 year old was looking over my shoulder and said, "Hey momma, that's YOU!". Now he thinks I'm famous. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa! That made me laugh! Yes, you often in that spot up there since I am ALWAYS pinning your ideas! And you are famous, you could easily have written this post!

      Delete
    2. Aww, you're too sweet! Thank you! Now if I just had time to start a blog and figure out my party/crafting business niche I'd be all set. :)

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Jenny! Pinning!
    xo
    H

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the tips, Jenny! I need to learn more about pinning parties- I would love to do one but I'm not sure how it all works, and I haven't taken the time to look it up, yet! I would love to do one with you if you ever want! xo
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jenny, thank you so much for sharing these great tips. My blog is still pretty new and I haven't been using Pinterest much until very recently, so this advice is exactly what I needed.

    Thanks again, and have a great day.

    Kate x
    http://www.kateathome.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tips, Jenny! Your Pinterest following is insane!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hеllo еverybody, here evеry person is
    ѕharing theѕе κinds of know-how, sо it's nice to read this website, and I used to pay a quick visit this web site daily.

    My web page Chemietoilette

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ηеllo! Do you usе Twitteг? I'd like to follow you if that would be okay. I'm defіnitelу enϳoying your blog anԁ loоk fοrωаrd tο new upԁates.



    Mу web-site; thecouponreview.com

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips